Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Swarmed by questions...


Helllooooooooooo ppl!!! How u guys doin???? I am doing great. As planned, i completed all my assignments, only to realise that i have the next set of online tests and an assignment lined up for this week!!!PHEW!!! I cant wait for my mid-semester break thats coming up this month end. And yeah, can u guys believe that i am almost into completing half my semester??!! I remember how you guys were consoling me with the fact that time would fly once school begins. For sure, time is flying, out of control!!. And guys, no wat???? My teddy arrived from India this week!!! I am sooooooooo excited about it. It feels like some friend has come over to stay with me and give me good company. Thanks to my uncle who brought it for me. And yeah, my mom sent other eatables like, potato chips from Hot Chips, choc chip biscuits, cashew macroons and haldirams snacks!!! Hehe :)

And hey, here is my teddy!!! He was damn tired after the long travel from Chennai to S'pore. So, he looks really weary na!!! Hehe :)



Ok, jokes apart. Lets get down to the topic, a serious one this time. This weekend, while i was talkin to my mom, i told her that i was planning to get a haircut done. Not a very short one though. But, something which can break the monotony of my looks. As soon as the words left my mouth, immediately she protested. She sounded as if, when i get back to India with this new hair style, people might get into false impressions and pass uneasy comments. She feels that i need to maintain the identity that i have always had within my family and in my neighbourhood (be it my looks or my attitude). Who knows, if i had not come to S'pore, i might still have wanted a change. It is all a matter of exploring and getting to "feel good" about oneself. My personal opinion is that the so-called "foreign return" identity of mine has nothing to do with my change of looks (if it does), as long as i remain the same by character and attitude, which am sure i will.


This aroused other wierd questions in my mind. Why is it that certain trivial decisions that i need to take in my life need consultation??? Why cant i simply go ahead with certain thoughts??? Havn't i grown up enough to become a young adult??? Have i not had enough "hard" lessons in life that give me the experience, courage and right to take decisions my way??? If my happiness is what gives them joy, then am i not allowed to take decisions that i feel will make me happy??? Should i be worried about all the gossip that people might come up with??? Or should i bother about my dreams, wishes and desires?? Is this not my only opportunity to exploit the resources of life and learn from my successes and failures??? Or is it 'coz this is my only opprotunity that i need to take on life without risks??? Ultimately, is it not my life's decisions that i wish to take???


Now, now, dont get me wrong. Its not that i dont have the interests of my parents in mind or that i am too self-centred about my desires in life. Its my age and my immaturity that makes me come up with such questions. To tell u the truth, my mom was dead-against letting me come off to S'pore. It was a hard decision I made. Still, personally i know how much of self-councelling she had to bend herself to, so that she could one day see her daughter happily settled with her dreams fulfilled. In a way, we both have sacrificed a lot. Not to leave behind my dad. He has been one huge source of inspiration and support to both of us. God only knows how much grief and pain he kept burrowed while he was consoling my mom and trying to guide me too. Moreover, though i am the only girl in our nuclear, as well as our master family, i am happy that i was not a pampered kid. Else, i might have taken many things for granted and not have been instilled with certain basic ethics of life.


Going back to my random thoughts. Its probably every mother's nature to look upon her son/daughter as a kid, no matter how old they are. It is also parental nature to be protective over their chilren and make sure that every decision taken by their kid be right, especially if the kid is far away from home. That's probably why my parents insist that i stick to their suggestions. Considering the fact that i am still dependent on them, it is true that my parents have the right over certain paths that i am goin to take in my life. Being all by myself, i have the complete freedom to do what i want, but it is upto me to limit myself with the space i have. I need to have self-control and i need to keep my people in trust. I need to maintain my individuality. Now that i have seen more of this world, my attitude towards life has surely changed (for the good that is). A closed nerdy brain that was once before, now feels the need for some adventure, few mis-givings, small lies and excitement. Its in this stage that i can explore the world to the wierdest of imaginations and also learn my valuable lessons in life. For heaven's sake, i cant be experimenting with my hairstlye when i am 50 years old or go out on late night outings!!! :P


So, i have loads to think about and take certain decision of life, ensuring that i hurt none and also make myself happy. That, i believe is the greatest challenge of life. In no way do i mean to hurt my mom or my dad's feelings in this regard.
Its just an honest flow of thoughts that i have scribbled. I still wish to be identified as their daughter. I shall sincerely respect their decisions for, i have also experienced how bad things can get if i dunt. So, no hair cut until i get a green signal from mom!! :) Oki, i guess i shall conclude it here. These thoughts have been haunting my mind since this weekend. Now that i have given them a vent, i can rest in peace and go on with my lessons. So, people... take care... have an awesome week. I hope to be back with something refreshing next time.. Till then... Chiao!!! Hugggzzzz!!!

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

preethi....tht was a too good post... keep it up and and...making decisions was never easy and it'll never be, sacrifices are inherent in the decision making.... and ultimately brings a smile on everyones face wen everythng goes well and good...so I wish all the best and hope u'll achieve ur goals and dreams and etc etc get fulfilled......(phew!!! ..guess wat??? its really tuf to comment on such kinda posts...hehe...jus kidding.... this post was really awesome...) keep rocking!!!....ooops sorry btw wats JAMMI doin...huh? did u take him for a tour r not..else it'll get bored...

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

yea cute post once again and the 1st para and the teddy part are all sweet and lovely

but onnu puriyale..ivalo periya post......... and all for a haircut ah ;)

s0ulasylum said...

hmm haircut.. my mom never prtested altho she wd always be like .. do anythg as long as i shd still be able to look at ur face.. lol.. and if u reallllly want it.. go right ahead n get it done.. by the time u go to india it will grow back :) oops i think im giving u wrong advice here.. hehe.. but i still thk if u want to do somethg thts only going to affect urself thn go right ahead n do it! :)

Himavan said...

Parents are always possessive when it comes to their kids! They always want their kids not to get hurt by taking some decisions which they think or consider not so good...It takes a while to make them understand and Its on you how you make them convince and realize. I dont say it's easy, but this is what one has to do, carefully...:)

I am glad to see your perspective of decision taking. I wish and hope you make right choices and I am certain your parents will be after you sooner or later....:)

cheers!

KK said...

Potato chips from Hot Chips, choc chip biscuits, cashew macroons and haldirams snacks...after reading all these I am not able to think of anything else....hmmm yummy!!!
I would just say onething, for hairstyle consultation consult anyone except Soulasylum...though she loves to do it as a profession... :)

Syam said...

enna oru post ba haricut ku...

//Why is it that certain trivial decisions that i need to take in my life need consultation??? Why cant i simply go ahead with certain thoughts//

ithu thaan namma society la problem..enna panrathu... :-)

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

potato chips for u...and i got murku's...they are so damn good that i had to steal them when I left home...yeah i stole them in the middle of the night and packed them...nehow...making decisions...temme abt that...esp me being a confused soul...and if someone says no to it...it gets me thinking so much...but i feel,certain things shuld be left to us...afterall its us who is leading our own life..obviously we wouldnt take any stupid decisions...
and abt the haircut...trust me,us living out of india are much more decent when it comes to looks...SOME people in chennai have changed so much that I was thinking that they were NRI's...I dont think you or me would change drastically...since most Indians who leave their homeland still value and respect their culture,principals and morals...even though we arent in India...WE ARE STILL PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN!!....

Prasanna Parameswaran said...

aaha haricut vechundu oru direction'e panniduveenga pola irukkae! its good to see the free flow of your words here! nice post preethi and do keep writing!

Has to be me said...

Prithz chill gal! Haircut kku evalo debate ah?! Try n pls ur mom & urself....so just kinda trim it & Im sure u can try out new hairstyles (Atleast when in spore) to break the monotony! And longer hair, the propects of doing new hairstyles r better! What say?!

Macho Girl said...

awwww.... your teddy bear is so cute!!!

I also wonder quite often.... i am 18 now and a legal adult! But I still seem to search for approval in whatever decision i am about to make. If i dont find the approval, then I just decide against doing whatever i wanted to do. (did that sentence make sense? :P)

Anonymous said...

a very fine post...so true....many a times even i used to feel d same...parents surely don't want their kids to take risk even if it's d smallest...and most of the times their advice saves our necks...but i do feel sometimes v need to go overboard jus for fun sake[i do dat :)]....take care

-golmaal

Anonymous said...

You at Sing' wait for green singnal. I remember cutting my long hair to short one when she was out of town. Well when she came back, I can never foget those sweet pinches and hard knocks from her. This happend in 8th grade.

A mother gets upset coz when you have a nice long hair, it makes you feel homely and sweet. It gives a grace to those women being beautiful. She might ask u to wait until u get married and then change your mind based on your Mr.right.

Ramya Shankar said...

If decisions could be made so easily, life would become really bland and boring !

Harish said...

Gosh...i though you were going to be like "I AM A REBEL" kind...but turned as Mommy's gal...as i am :-)
When i was in school my mom wanted me to have a haircut which was close to mottai.I always had no choice...till i reached 10th std :-)
hmmmm...enna panna?Some sacrifices have to be made to keep our near dear ones happy.

Unknown said...

A closed nerdy brain that was once before, now feels the need for some adventure, few mis-givings, small lies and excitement.

Vendaam Preethi, vendaam. Sollitaen. Ambutudhaen!

Appurom haircutta? Vendaem. Vandaem! Unnoda rightsa irukkalam adhu. But enga gedhiyayum konjam ninaichu paaru! :)

Unknown said...

ellam unnoda ENEMY-oda influencenu ninaikrean! Nee ippadiye irukarudhu dhaan nalladhu. ur parentsum adhu dhaan virumbuvaanga.

And, Teddy bear inna aluvura moonji vechirukku? :)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

>>harish said

>>kind...but turned as Mommy's gal...as i am :-)

appo harish ngarathu oru ponna....... harishavardhini than unga full name ah?

Keshi said...

**She sounded as if, when i get back to India with this new hair style, people might get into false impressions and pass uneasy comments.

Well thats what happens when u ask moms what to do. hehehehe. Next time dun consult others (not even ur mum) b4 taking such trivial decisions. U should be able to take em by urself. After all u trust urself dun u? :)


TC and go have that lovely fresh haircut u need. It does wonders to the mind.

Keshi.

Krithika said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ganesh Ranganathan said...

Every teenager rebels against his/her parents at some point or the other. It would be abnormal if they didn't.
I suggest you convince your mom about the haircut. maybe use one of those softwares and show what you will look like after you had the haircut and I am sure they will agree....

Krithika said...

first of all,i felt as though someone was talking to me..and not like i was reading ur post..actually all ur posts are like that..amazing prithzz! :)and abt hair cut,no mum wants her daughter with short hair,so the best thing u can do is to style it the way u want and later place the blame on the beautician :p ok,ok I'm mad! but seriously,U're so lucky to have long hair..so simply flaunt it lady!:)
and who said ur immature??These thoughts hit every girl of our age, so there's nothing immature abt it.All parents,esp mums,are protective abt their daughters..so sometimes we jus can't help it :(

prithz said...

@ brute:

Hey Thnx a lot!!! U said it perfectly... n yeah, jammi is doing great... I havnt yet taken him out.. No time lah!!! One friday nite, when the weather is perfect, i will take him out for a walk :P

@ r.subramanian:

Hehe :) The haircut thot was wat kindled the others. I have lots more decisions to take in life among which this is one. I jus tried to zoom out my thots taking off from this one :)

@ s0ulasylum:

Hehe :) I am still thinkin wat to do... The mid-sem break comin this month end will be the rite time to decide on a cool haircut i guess.. i will get bk to u for any advice. :P

@ contented:

Hmm... yeah ..very true!!! I think so too... i jus hope i can take the rite decisions at the rite time.. :)

@ kk:

Nanaichen!!! Sappardradhilaye irunga!!! :P BTW, paadhi saaman kaali aidhuthu :(( Back to square one.. ellam vandha enthu lah, seekirama kaali panniten!! :P

BTW, s0ul oda new hairstyle is super.. i AM goin to consult her only.. Y u always poraamai boy???

@ syam:

Hmmm.. Haircut kaga indha post illa...its jus that it triggered such questions!!!

@ random thoughts from chennai to canada:

Hi di!!! How r u??? Got frnds in ur course??? Col started??? U like it???

BTW, y di, u reminding me of muruku??? I feel like eating thattai and paal boli!!! Know wat..today, i felt like eating samosa n bhajji!!! Yenga porudu?? Ore peelings :((

BTW, i am sure i am not goin to get my self a boycut.. but i jus wanna chng the style a bit.. for sure, i can be identified as an indian girl!! :)

@ indianangel:

Hey thnx a lot!! :)

@ has to be me:

Ahhh!!! Who said i have long hair???? OMG, i wish i had..then i mite not be cuttin my hair at all... my hair jus extends 2-3 inches below my shoulder... dats abt it..

@ macho girl:

Yeah... i love my teddy too..but he always seems to be drowsy!! :))

BTW, it is this precarious stage of life where we need to match our decisions with our parents.. cant afford to hurt them na..

@ golmaalgopal:

Very rightly put!!! Of course, certain times, the adventures of life lie in breaking rules.. isnt it??? So, we need to balance both and enjoy our life to the fullest.

@ pria:

Hey pria, i have been wanting to tell u that i am unable to comment in ur blog 'coz of beta version :(( So, plz echuse.

And yeah, cutting my hair wid Mr.Right's consent is a different matter altogether. College time is the ripe time to play around with our looks and this fun is totally different since it our own decision.. that's where i need to get my parents consent.. So, at any point of time, i am bound to get a green signal from someone in my life... :( thats typically my concern.

@ ramya:

Righto!!! :) Ferfect di!!! Decisions are what take us to different paths. They are the crossroads.

@ harish:

Hehe :) I cant say i am not a rebel.. i stand up to my decisions and try to force them to accept them too.. so.. in a way... i get my things done..but at times, i hafto listen to them..

@ karthik b.s.:

Agaa...idhu nallakadaiyya irruke.. nandhan yeannoda photo poodala illa.. apram yeanna unga gathi pathi ungaluuku kavalais??? Meri marziiii!!!

Seri..teddy is not soogam...he was tired after the travel.. so he was feeling drowsy and i was pestering him to talk to me and i was chattin wid him non-stop!! :P

@ keshi:

Hmm... not so easy Keshi. I need not have told my mom that i am plannin to have a hair cut.. but my conscience doesnt allow that... so, i mite have to wait for sometime and patiently convince her... i am sure she will understand... :)

@ ganesh ranganathan:

Hmm..yeah!! I am tryin the onein sunsilkgirls.com which shows how a complete turnover can look for u!!! :P

@ krithika:

Hehe :) Good idea.. seriyaana kaedi ponna irupa poolarke!!! Innume idhanum silmisham pannanumna, unkitta idea kaetukaraen!!! :P

And yeah... i know i am not as immature as i think... still... its jus that when it comes to certain decisions that i need to take and i struggle to take them, that i feel i mite not upto the mark...

Unknown said...

huyiii inna nee haricut panna naanga paaka mudiyadhu nu ninaikiraya????? I have nyana kann u know! :)

Teddy kitta chattingaaa? Paathu paithiyamnu yaaravudhu ninaikka poranga! :)

KK said...

Kaali panniteengala?? oh no! yen kanavellam ippadi udanchu poche... :( Unga kooda naan Kaa! :)
Me poraamai boy??? hmmm... sila perukku sonna puriyum, sila perukku pattal than puriyum... neenga pattu puchikirenreenga... hmmm Mudi vettina otta mudiyathu...(Aha! yennakku yepothilirunthu ippadi thathuvam thona aarambichuthu ? :))

EarthlyTraveler said...

This long post for the haircut!!!
But once you've vented it out you 'll be able to decide.
Not all MOMs are against this. At my home,the DAD is very strict about these "mukkiyamana" samacharams.Enjoyed reading.--SKM

s0ulasylum said...

pri: go haead babes.. get tht hair cut.. me will always supprt ya on tht. and me always ready to advice on wht wd suit ya face.. :)

kk: oye? a haircut is necessary to cleanse the spirit! adn these are all my future customers ... ur driving them away by discouraging them now only??!!

KK said...

S0ul, With a friend like me, you dont need an enemy :)

Bharani said...

Good one Prithz....It happens to all....there are lot of things we need to do only after consulting with the entire society...but time to time .....we have to do things that our mind tells....

illati...romba naal kazhichi...namma eppadi vazhthu irukomnu yosicha...we will get a big dissatisfaction....so appa appa namakagavum vaazhanum....

this may hurt our parents sometimes....but they are ones who can understand and support us even the rest of the world turns against...so go ahead and do those small small things that ur heart tells....never allow brain to interfere on those things ...

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

I told u na...u look like an iyer ponnu...so go ahead with a cut..if u want a suggestion..go for a layering...2 weeks ago i got it done :)

s0ulasylum said...

kk: i can also say tht .. the other way around!! muhahaha *evil laughter*

brute said...

whoa!!!!!!!!!! i can post my comment easily... :P

Krithika said...

hahaha! yedho ennaku theyrincha thu :p

prithz said...

@ karthik b.s.:

Yeanna??? Nyana Kanna??? Ungalukka??? Plz ba... krithika ungala vivek oda compare pannita nu, indha madiri joke laam adikathinga.. LOL!! (paavam, ava chinna ponnu, theriyaama sollita)

Its fun talkin to teddy u know.. Me crazy nu ellarkum airkanave theriyum :)

@ kk:

LOL!!! I know cannot stick back lah!!! Still, no harm tryin a different hair style na...

Yeannakum, ella snacks um mudichupoona sookam dhan... next ooru leandhu yaaru varuvaa nu wait pandrean.. :P

@ sandai-kozhi:

Hehe :) Not entirely 'coz of hair cut.. but, these r certain thoughts that have been going on in my mind for quite some time...Thnx for droppin by my blog... Hope u see u around.. :)

@ s0ulasylum:

Yeah.. jus got approval from ma mom!!! Yahooooooo!!! will get it done anytime this week or the next :P

@ bharani:

Yeah rightly said... but i dunt quite agree wid not listenin to the brain.. i feel we need to listen both to our mind n our brain to take something close to a right decision... :)

@ random thoughts from chennai to canada:

Hmm.. yeah.. i know.. plannin a v-cut kinda thing so that i can have a pony tail and have it dangling from behind!! :P

@ brute:

:)

@ krithika:

Idhuvae romba over ma kannu :P

Kavitha Jay said...

dont worry da..its just a hair cut...all moms like this...i just never mention it to her that i am going to get a hair cut...she freaks out for sometime...but it eventually gets ok...

Archun said...

Hmm...That's a real dilemma. But I really respect you for your decision to wait for a green signal from your mom. These small things which we do reflect how much our parents mean to us. But we shouldn't let their viewpoints confine our outlook and thoughts - I'm sure you'll be able to convince your mom that you should get a cool new haircut! Anyways, teddy's there for consult naa??

Bharani said...

atleast for me, brain and heart will never coincide...few times i do what brain tells...mostly what heart tells...its rare that both tells same thing...:)

prithz said...

@ mystery:

Hehe :) I jus forced a yes outta ma mom's mouth.. and got a neat hair cut :P

@ archun:

Hehe :) Yeah.. quite true lah!!! The very fact that we approach out parents for such silly n small things shows how much v respect their thots and words... Blessed they shud be to get such kids!!! :P LOL!!

@ bharani:

Hmm :) as longas everything works out well... fair n good!!! :)

gowri said...

reminds me...
we were talkin abt terri (friend of ours from trivandrum).. coming to chennai with us( the chennai gals) for diwali.. but her parents wudnt hear of it... the fact that she'd be more safer and happier in chennai under our parent's eye than here alone in goa made no sense to them... i guess it's the parental instinct to bind their kids closer to them when they r physically far apart @ conflict with the adoloscent desire to break free and carve a niche , a personality of one's own... ( btw long hair suits u :) )

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

da teddy is cute : )
hehe