Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Musafir


Pom. Pom. Pom.


The bus driver honked. The bus moved rather slowly, inching its way through what must have been a heavy traffic. I held on to the support bar on the right hand side lest I should slip from my seat. I didn't dare turn to the person sitting next to me. I could smell a strong fruity fragrance from her side – a very creamy one. My guess was a strawberry flavoured perfume – definitely a very charming lady, unless otherwise.


I sat there, quietly listening to the music that reached my ears from the lady's earphones. A melodious and lovely song starting with the words Pehla Nasha started to play. My knowledge is limited to tamil music, so much so that if you sing to me one line from any tamil movie, I would sing to you the whole song. Recently, my 20 year old daughter uploaded a few hindi songs in the new Ipod that she bought for me and that’s when I have begun to appreciate hindi music.


Pehla Nasha – the music went on with a sensuous saxophone interlude. I haven’t yet watched the picturization of the song and so I let my imagination run wild as I choreographed the beautiful song in my mind’s eye. My foot began tapping the floor of the bus in appreciation.


Few minutes passed. The sound track changed. The bus rattled into a stop. The lady next to me excused herself to get out of her seat. Her voice was sweet and gentle. I turned myself towards the aisle in acknowledgement, giving her ample leg space to make her way out. I could feel her soft fabric brush my arm as she walked away. I moved to the window seat, letting my head rest on the window sill and closed my eyes.


I swayed to the tunes of the bus’ path as my journey continued. My dreams continued. I was still under the influence of the song. I told myself to remember to ask my daughter to upload this song in my Ipod.


About half an hour passed. I noticed that no one sat next to me.


Just when I was getting restless to sit anymore, the bus buzzed with activity. I knew it was my stop. Strong instincts. The driver brought the bus to a hault.


I took the stick next to me and unfolded it. Positioning it firmly on the floor, I stood up. Setting my best foot forward, I heard my walking stick tap on the rickety bus floor as it led me on my dark path.


Tock. Tock. Tock.

8 comments:

G3 said...

One more feather to ur crown :)

Narration is Tooooooooooo good to appreciate :D

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

@g3
+1

@preeethz
i knew there will be a twist, was expecting it from the start and still found the twist exciting, ...and slightly depressing as well :|

gils said...

enaku purila..kannu therilaina pakkathula uakara matangala??

Dimplicious said...

Dint find much of ur descriptive writin style this tym...However, the story was great..I simply din't tink it wud end this way..Thot it was goin 2 b a sweet love story or sth!!!Hmmm...good one!!n yeah must say..a bit feel-sad ending!!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

andha tock tock tock than konjam comedy aakiduchu story ah :)

otherwise a too good story... as dimplicious put it, slightly simplified narration this time, without ur usual extravaganza words and phrases........... but sometimes simple is beautiful :)

Good one

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
I was sort of hoping for more before I realized what just happened.
It sort of shook me up.
Kudos! Keep writing

Venkatesh said...

nice story.. good narration as usual.. :-)

prithz said...

@ g3:
Thanks :) How are u? Been really long!

@ kausikram krishnasayee:
As long the end surprises the reader, am fine :D

@ gils:
I have observed that sometimes. I don't know why. :(

@ dimplicious:
Hehe! Surrrpriiseeee!!! :D

@ rsubras:
Hehe! Thanks :D And yes, as you said, simple is indeed beautiful at times.

@ nivi:
Hehe! Made my day with that comment :)

@ venkatesh:
Thanks (as usual) :P