Thursday, September 20, 2007

Reality


1991


Today was yet another hot day. Nonetheless, an eventful Friday it has been.


I was waiting outside the school gate, trying to spot my little daughter in the sea of excited kids. During the last 15 minutes of her final period, she would frequently look out of her classroom window to check if I am waiting outside to pick her up. Tears would well up in her eyes, if I fail to make my presence before the last bell rings.


Finally, I saw her waving out as she ran up to me. She was just as neat and fresh as she was when I dressed her up in the morning – a few fringes falling on her forehead and her ponytail dangling behind her back. A white handkerchief with light pink flowers, neatly folded into a quadrant, hung from the right side of her shirt. A white badge bearing her name, class and section was pinned up on her left. She walked with a lot more energy and enthusiasm than any other Friday usually instilled in her.


Handing over her lunch bag to me, she exclaimed, “Amma!!! Know what? Sharadha miss gave me one extra star for the chart we did yesterday.


Wow! That’s good!” I said, holding her tiny palm with my free hand and making my way out through the swarm of parents, grandparents, maids, autowallas and school kids.


So, are we going to the beach today evening?” She asked, looking up at me and meddling with the bangle on my hand. The dark kajal in her eyes were just beginning to show up beneath her lower eyelids. I simply nodded, trying to draw my attention to the busy road and carefully get across.


She completed her weekend homework well ahead of time, in anxious anticipation of going to the beach, only to be spoilt by Rajeev’s late arrival from office. Time was a quarter past seven. My father-in-law insists that we do not go out to return late in the night. The beach plan had to be dropped.


We can be there for just half an hour and get back. We shall go. Pleasssseee!” She pleaded. Her tone and request was too sweet to be ignored or rejected.


We are not going today Roshni. Its late already and the beach gates close at 7pm.” I lied, with no other choice. I knew it was a funny thing to say. Rajeev was laughing behind my back.


Roshni’s face instantly withered. She has been sitting with the new copy of ‘Gokulam’ that Rajeev got for her on his way back. She’ll be fine when I tell her what I’ve made for dinner today.


2007


While having my late night shower after our return from the beach party, I remembered a strange incident that happened when I was in nursery. I wanted to talk to my mom and find out if she remembered it as well.


As she picked up my call, she started off with her usual, “Where are you?” question as against the general “How are you?” As I went on ranting about the day’s highlights, I told her about the beach party and bang came her autoreply, “So late!!


This was my chance! “Apparently, beaches no longer close as early as 7pm like they used to 16 years ago.” I said sarcastically. Bang! I could imagine her hitting me on my head with her knuckle. We both burst out laughing.


17 comments:

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

From a ferrero rocher to lala kadai laddu.....From a oh-you-know-what reader's digest to our own champak digest...From a classical Romantic story ala James Cameroon to a short and sweet namma ooru family story

Heck....ithu kooda nalla irukkuba :D

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

oru thakunoondu matter ah vachikittu athai oru story ah weave pannirukkiye...athuvum ivlo azhaga..preeethzuuu nee great ma :)

G3 said...

:)) cute one :D

Unknown said...

motherhood-- little to explain all to experience...

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey hey oru nimisham.... first half la i.e in 1991, I is the mom... and in the second half in 2007, I is Roshini...how come??

did i miss something here... or is it any kind of innovation u are trying?? or is it just a mistake?

KK said...

Nice one Prithz... made me nostalgic.... my dad used to take us out on sundays :)

நாகை சிவா said...

:))

//she started off with her usual, “Where are you?” question as against the general “How are you?”//

Same Blood.... :)

Sirpy said...

2007 la beach party aa..? Enga, enga..? Sundal sappadrathu, not applicable..

Has to be me said...

kewl one that was! Must admit the initial part almost threw me out...cos i was wondering since when does Prithz have a daughter!!! ;)))

cm chap said...

That's really cute...

Hey ur blog template is good.. I liked it...

dakaltiz said...

Sweet! :)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

Loving this story more every time i read it.......

esp these lines

>>This was my chance! “Apparently, beaches no longer close as early as 7pm like they used to 16 years ago.” I said sarcastically.

and the one that followed

>>Bang! I could imagine her hitting me on my head with her knuckle. We both burst out laughing.

and this is one story, where "I" (Roshni I mean) can be replaced by Prithz :) and ur innocence, wit and repartee perfectly matches Roshni

nandoo said...

sooober post :) very cute

have you heard about this little girl by the name Sahana :P

nandoo said...

naanum oru naal office bunk pannitu enn ponna school cut adichitu beachku kootitu poyiduven. :)

nandoo said...

oiii maaami we both have used maple leaf in our blog... i somehow like that maple leaf for no reasons dont know why?

prithz said...

@ rsubras:
Tks anna! :)
And yeah, idhu oru pudu style try panne. The first part is from the mother's diary and the second is the daughter's.

@ g3:
Thnku :D

@ iamyuva:
Precisely! :)

@ kk:
Hehe! Same same :D

@ naagai shiva:
Hehe! :)

@ sirpy:
Hehe! Enaku therla. San sundal, no fun actually. :)

@ has to be me:
LOL! Romba naal kazhichu en blog pakkam vandha adhan. :)

@ cm-chap:
Tks! :)

@ dakaltiz:
Tks! :)

@ nandoo:
Tirupati ke ladoo va? :P

Office ku leave?!? Hmph! Ipdi laam solli dhan sila pera ematharelo? Baby sitter aaki vitutu, aathukari office oodiduva! :D

To me, maple leaf is symbolic of a pleasant, quiet and romantic mood :D

gils said...

!! prithz...enna aachu...oray kathai mazhai pozhiyuthu...unnoda blogspot mathiriye illa..no more stories abt u urself and ur room :D but ella storiesum chancela..kumkumam mathiri summa nachunu iruku..somehow intha kathai padikarachay enaku jothika thaan nyabagam vara..!! why?