Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Wait


A few minutes after his phone call, she sat at the corner of her bed fighting the tears in her eyes and the lump in her parched throat. With shivering hands, she began her letter.


That’s the last thing I wanted to hear. That’s the last thing I wanted to imagine happening to us. It wasn’t a very tight rope that I was clinging onto. It took Herculean effort on my part not to have expectations. I feigned that I was merely hoping that it would happen as soon as you promised. I admit.


Wasn’t it you who said that ‘if something has to happen, then the whole world would conspire.’ Now, it’s the same damn world that is conspiring against those small dreams which we secretly dreamt. Why should God who brought two souls together, enjoy the forlorn show of watching them shed tears as they long for each other from two parts of the world?


If this separation is the price I need to pay to be with you, so shall it be. For, sometimes, it’s all about giving up something you really want now for something you want for your entire life.


The last time you left me with your words of assurance that you would be back as soon as possible, I knew how much you meant it. I still know how hard you are struggling to make it. This is just to let you know that I’m with you through this rough patch.


Today, when that little hope we were hanging onto came trashing down, you so casually ask me if I would wait for you, very well knowing the obvious reply you would hear from me. If hearing it from me all over again makes you feel better, here I repeat myself,


“If not for you, the wait wouldn’t be any worth.”


Without wax,

Anjali


As she was folding the letter, a restless drop of tear inevitably fell upon the white sheet; blotting into a bigger dot and making the word ‘hope’ appear wriggly. She rewrote the word, folded the letter and mechanically scribbled his address on the envelope.


This is just the beginning…” she thought, as she was making her way back from the post office, “The beginning of our struggle to be together, forever.


P.S. 1: Loved the use of the phrase ‘without wax’ in Dan Brown’s Digital Fortress. Been waiting to use it in somewhere.

P. S. 2: Btw, it means – Sincerely (derived from the Spanish word – sin cera).


18 comments:

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

beautiful prithzuu beautiful.... for me in a way... this looked like "A Million little things - Part II", antha story laye After a few years nu pottu intha story aarambichirunthe vachukko..perfect ah flow maintain aagirukkum :) Same genre..

this one is so good, irunthalum antha alavu sweetness ithula varaathu..that was more of innocent love..ithu konjam matured love :) this contain tinge of sweetness only few wud be able to feel and relate with :)

But it is awesome that the kid prithz is able to capture perfectly the feelings of 6-60 and portray it beautifully............

G3 said...

Story super as usual :))

On seeing "without wax" I had a large smile on my face ;) nethu dhaan digital fortress padichu mudichen :P

நாகை சிவா said...

//Loved the use of the phrase ‘without wax’ in Dan Brown’s Digital Fortress. Been waiting to use it in somewhere.//

entha otha phrase ka oru kathaiya.... ennamo ponga...

//“If not for you, the wait wouldn’t be any worth.”//

Nachunu irruku...

Mothathil nalla irruku :)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

oops..PS padikkale..without wax na..i thought..without tears nu... oru candle eriyum bothu vidara kaneer thane wax ah keezhe kottuthu...antha maathiri oru parallel enakku thonichu.. ippathan PS padichaen... :)

Sudeep said...

fiction or true?

glad u wrote the PS thing coz i was confused on the without wax term.. (though i have read DF)

nice template btw..

Kavitha Jay said...

hey prithz..i loved the last line...so damn touchy...i felt the pain ..thats how perfectly u have captured the scene...
admirable words..apprehensible narration...i can keep on going..:D

keep rocking..
cheers...:)

KK said...

World is round... so if God keeps pushing two people farer from each other.... some day they both will be in the same place since the world is round...

Wow! Wat a thought! Guess I need to patent my above thought :D

Jokes apart... on a serious note... Very nicely written... again.. this post of yours yells at me to stop writing blogs and learn from reading your blog.... :D

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey KK, seriously that was an awesome thought.....dude u rock :)

Sirpy said...

Hey Prithz, full feelings.. I seriously, fully understand it coz I know how it feels.. Simply, loved your post..

gils said...

//Wow! Wat a thought! Guess I need to patent my above thought :D//

saga..chancela...neenga inga iruka vendia alay ila..ulagam ungala purinjikira nal seekrama varanum.. :D and complan..enna matter..semma sentia story..enna sollavaranu thaan purila..without wax paatha udanay..engayo padichirukoamaynu thonithu..DF poatu remind panita..chancela..

dakaltiz said...

The emotional undercurrent u have when u wait on is more than when u get seperated from ur beloved!!

The Pain u feel on waiting ... is difficult to express...but prithz u've done a wonderful job in geting that close through u words!

Hats Off! :)

Nivi said...

wow! loved it.
“If not for you, the wait wouldn’t be any worth.”
great line :)
And yes, god does have weird pleasures at times. I guess it all happens for good and i hope anjali gets to be with him soon :-)

Harish said...

Hmmm...I guess U have been showered with every possible adjective available in the dictionary and its obvious that you deserve it.

Well....since I have run out of adjectives...i will give u an assignment.

If anytime I need to submit a love letter to someone...I will outsource it to you.I am sure the girl will fall head over heels in love with me.
P.S: Dont tell the girl U wrote it :P

KK said...

@Harish - //If anytime I need to submit a love letter to someone...I will outsource it to you.I am sure the girl will fall head over heels in love with me.//

Thalaiva naan venumna help pannata??? You know what will be the result :D

Anonymous said...

btw..the word 'forever' doesnt come in the letter even once.!! how tear fell n she rewrote..good writing pri.. little direction mistake!

Shalini Gowrisankar said...

Wow! beautiful, you have captured the feelings so precisely with ur words.. Loved it gal!

Ramya Shankar said...

Bombastic words would annul my comment, I'd keep it simple -
"Love it"

prithz said...

@ rsubras:
Going on a spectrum of thoughts, adhunaala dhan 6-60 stories :D

Irundhaalum andha without wax ku too much ah yosichirkel!!!

@ g3:
Tks pa! I loved that book best among DB's.

@ naagai shiva:
Hehe! Tks! Most of the time, kadaisi line yosichutu dhan kadhai ye yosipen. :)

@ sudeep:
Truely fiction :) Welcome here!

@ mystery:
Hey! Tks a ton! cheerio!

@ kk:
Apdi thalli thalli vittavthu ungalaiyum, unga wife aiyum paaka varena nu paakalaam :D

Too much praise udambukku aagathu :D

@ sirpy:
Great! Tks a ton! :)

@ gils:
Tks pa! Chumma oru moody spree la ezhuthinaathu. Kandukaathingo :P

@ dakaltiz:
Hey! Tks a lot! I can imagine how it mite hurt (watching a lot of movies i guess). :P

@ nivi:
God sure loves to play arnd this way. I bet! Glad u liked it. :)

@ harish:
Makka! (unga style) :P Onnu porathu? :D Apdiye na ezhuti koduthena, ethana ponnunga kitta kodupel? endha ponnuku nu kodupel? :P

@ anony:
LOL! Tks for pointing out. Corrected.

@ shalini gowrishankar:
Tks! Welcome here :)

@ ramya:
Danku! :)