Friday, February 15, 2008

Once upon a time...

I waited for my clock to strike 6, wanting to rush back home and catch my favourite 7pm show on NBC. Today would have been just-another-day in my life if not for her.


There she was, near the parking lot. I walked past her, my head straight, trying to catch a glimpse of her through the corner of my eyes. I walked in a manner I very rarely do - quick long steps, looking hurried. Was it because I feared that she might hear my heart pounding loud? Or did I fear that I might blurt out to her what might one day be the inevitable words from my mouth? Or was this just not the right moment to let her know that I knew not of a world that existed beyond her?


I strode to my car as fast as I could and opened the door to the back seat to put my laptop bag. My heart still throbbed, sending pulses of fear to my entire body. And then it happened. While I was bent down to clean up the back seat and safely keep my bag, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. Almost thrown off the ground, I found myself staring at her – those beautiful sparkling eyes that for the first time reflected mine.


“Happy Valentines Day Raj!” She said shyly, her cheeks turning pink.


“Hey! Thank you Roshni! Wish you the same. I wanted to come over myself to wish u!” I said, carefully placing each of my words.


“Why didn’t you then?” She asked me, like a kid questioning her father.


“Hmm… I don’t know… I didn’t know how you would take it.” I said, slowly.


“Why? What’s wrong?” She emphasized, as if cajoling me into getting those safely-locked-up-words out of the mouth.


“Welll.. you are a ggrreat friend.. anddd I didn’t want to spoil things between us. Sooo yeah.” I stammered.


She looked at me, right through my eyes. It felt like she was scanning my heart to catch a glimpse of those 3 words that were so strongly etched and hidden in one corner. Those 3 words that I had for 2 years now saved - just for her.


“Why do you think what I think Raj?" she asked me, out-of-the-blue, sounding naughty and affirmative.


“Because I think the same.” I said, with a confidence I never knew I would have in front of her.


“Hehe! Well then, why this hide-and-seek?” She asked me.


The last place that I had imagined having the conversation of my lifetime was my office parking area. It seemed a perfectly strange place to propose to the woman of my life. Finally, deciding that I would not get a better opportunity, I opened my mouth and uttered those words that shall ever haunt me-


“So, is it a yes or a get out?”


My heart raced at a pace it never has since I was born. My world swirled.


“Does waiting for one person for 2 years mean a get out?” she retorted, casually.


Oh God! Who the heck would reply like that for a proposal? I hated the way she always had to make things so complex. Can’t we just break it and go bang – ‘Look-!-This-is-what-I-think-about-you’ and get done with it?


Before I could take my anger any further, my heart was now throbbing with excitement and swarmed with happiness. I wanted to kneel down right there and tell her how much I loved her. I wanted to go atop the tallest building in the city and shout to the world that she loves me too. I had always thought its Bollywood that comes up with such fantasizing ideas of being love struck, but that day, each of my own criticisms backfired.


While I stood floating on cloud nine, gaping at her and still trying to ask myself if what was happening was indeed happening, she stole me of that one ultimate chance of a lifetime.


“I love you Raj.” She said, in a plain soft tone. The words touched my heart before they reached my ears.


“I love you Roshni.” I said. My eyes felt warm. I wanted to cry – cry on her lap.


We stood there, too excited to talk, relishing the new dimension of silence that prevailed between us – a silence filled with meaning, a thousand words, a million symphonies and endless love.


Finally, she broke the silence and asked me to take her out.


“Somewhere. Anywhere.” she said, like a kid. I began to love her more for that innocence.


I opened the front door of my car and offered to her the seat that was meant specially for her. I took out a small poster from the dashboard and stuck it on the rear glass of my car. It was a poster that I had bought in a car accessories store almost 3 years ago. I had saved it for that one day – the one day which I had no idea when to anticipate. I started my car, for that ‘somewhere-anywhere’ that she wanted to go.


Finally, with the two of us, my car rolled out of the parking lot, gleaming with the words, “Princess on Board” at the back.


P.S.: Happy Valentine's day :)

15 comments:

Akash said...

hi
your writings are so good man.,...
I dont normally read long posts....but in this case..i read the whole post...loved it
keep writing
tk

Harish said...

"Finally, with the two of us, my car rolled out of the parking lot, gleaming with the words, “Princess on Board” at the back."

Damn!! You always beat me in your last line. Just want to know if you start from the end???Because your endings throw me off the hook :-)

Enjoy your V day gal :-)

Raz said...

:) :) i jus broke into a big big smile.

he has it in his car :) v cute one!

Ganesh Ranganathan said...

beautiful story....and thank god it was a happy ending :-)

Vinesh said...

oooooooh
how romantic!! :-)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

Good one :)

A typical prithz story... but this time sans any surprises... being a regular reader of ur stories, this story contains all of ur regular elements...still that special something is not apparent during my first read.......

but i know.....some of ur stories that do not impress while reading the first time, would definitely be lot better when i read it some other time.. this one wud be no exception as well...

Dimplicious said...

he he...too cute a proposal nw...i wonder if its for real;)..n yeah even i was worried it myt have a sad ending...goody good!!nice one for d v-day prithz...keep rockin!!!

dakaltiz said...

pinnita prithz...liked it tons...
"The words touched my heart before they reached my ears" - wonderful line....

Anonymous said...

Nice post

-Shyam

nandoo said...

//I had always thought its Bollywood that comes up with such fantasizing ideas of being love struck, but that day, each of my own criticisms backfired.//

Hehehe I think everyone is backfired with their own criticism at one point of time…

//I wanted to cry – cry on her lap.// – Cliché statement but yes every man feels it this way… :D

//“Somewhere. Anywhere.” she said, like a kid. //– My wife asks me always to go somewhere anywhere :P and we just drive… but it’s a bike you see.. its even more romantic than going on a car

Happy v day prithz

Anonymous said...

typically prithznu sign off ur stories frm now on :D semma apta irukum :D

~gils

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

i thought i commented already ..guess it went zoom...this is one of your best works pree :)

Karthik Balasubramanian said...

Ha ha.. I was of the opinion that the actual process of proposal was for women.. Those situations are always gonna be nail biters cause though u might have a good idea of what the woman might say, there will always be side of yourself that laughs you yourself for saying something as cheesy as that.. but its an occupational hazard that comes with being a man.. U just gotta do it and not burst out laughing..

prithz said...

@ known stranger:
Thanks! Yo made my day :)

@ harish:
Hehe! Not as good as ur end twists boss :) I had a great v-day. Hope u did too :)

@ raz:
Super duper :)

@ ganesh ranganathan:
Hehe! Happily ever after :D

@ vinesh:
For a change :D

@ rsubras:
Hehe! Am happy as long as u enjoy it, whichever read it may be :)

@ dimpilicious:
Glad you enjoyed it. :)

@ dakaltiz:
Thanks :)

@ shyam:
Tks :)

@ nandoo:
Every guy has his day. Car oh bike oh, loved ones ooda porathu jolly dhaane.. you enjoy maadi :D

@ gils:
Sollavavenum :D

@ kausikram krishnasayee:
Danke :D

@ karthik balasubramanian:
Occupational hazard of being a guy!!! You got me in splits.... quite true :)

Priyankari said...

Hey, beautiful story...very simple and touching...though am a bit late in commenting...but am really touched! Keep posting :)