Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Me.... only me.... and none but me....



I am back to blogsville after a wonderful trip down to the countryside with my entire maternal side family... It was a much needed reunion for all of us... We had booked a tempo traveller and visited a few temples... On our way, we also hopped to our native place, a town named Pudukkotai near Trichy...in the midst of my city-born cousins, i was the only one born in this small town ... i still remember how inferior and embarrased i used to feel to mention this as my birth place... When all my friends used to say Chennai, Delhi, Bombay or someother big city, i had to say "Pudukkotai"... When i was in my primary class, i used to tell my friends that i was born in "New Fort", a city in England... some of them even believed me!!!


Now, i no longer have such a feeling... i felt so nice to get back to the place, where i was born and brought up for a couple of years... When i joined school, we shifted to Chennai, but still i used to go to my grandparents house every vacation... After a few years they sold the house and came to Chennai too... Two days ago, when we went to the house, it was the same old place, every brick was right there in place, no changes except for the people in the house... the neighbours were all the same... we asked permission from the residents in there and were admiring the place that was once ours... my grandma and grandpa were in tears as they entered their old mansion... my mother, and her siblings were telling us (their kids) as to where they used to study, which wall they used to scribble about one another, which tree in the backyard they have once climbed... so on and so forth... my cousins and me were simply smiling and inqusitively questioning them...


After a few mins of excited words and emotional exchanges, we began our journey back home... i took the window seat and was watching the beautiful landscape of the countryside... with both sides of the narrow road laden with trees and flowers of every kind... on one side my mother was chatting with her brother and sister...on the other, my cousins were playing UNO cards... each one shouting and fighting occasionally with their brothers and sisters... and suddenly a strange thought occured to me...really strange... i have never thought of it before... it is now 18 years.. and such a thought has never ever stuck me so painfully... i began to wonder...


WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE WITHOUT ANY SIBLINGS??? WHY AM I SINGLE??? WHY DONT I HAVE AN ELDER BROTHER??? WHY NOT A CUTE LIL YOUNGER SIS??? ....

My parents have been really dear to me... they have never been controlling or conditional parents... they have punished me for any wrong i do... they have tirelessly advised me... at the same time... they have given me what i wanted at the time they thought was right... They have dedicated all the time in the world for me...Even to this date, they take me to my cousins place at least once in a week... in fact, till now i have spent only one b'day with my friends... otherwise, its always been a family party or a family get-together... This is probably one of the reasons, i have never felt a need for a sibling...


Most of my cousins are much younger to me... Only a couple who really match my age, but still i have my own reservations in telling them things that are closest to my heart... However, i have always treated them and loved them as if they were my own bro or sis... Somehow, from that evening my heart suddenly had this desperate feeling of not having my own sister or brother...


An elder brother with whom i could share everything that i had in my heart... who would drop me in class in his "super bike"... i would sit proudly behind him thinking "My brother is the fastest and best bike rider in this world"... with whom i would roll on the bed, pinch hard on his tummy, fight until i lost all the energy in me... then shamelessly wait until he comes up to me and sweetly kisses me for which i would bite him hard... a brother who would hug me when i leave for my in-laws place one day... someone, who always would give me a hand to climb up.. who's shoulder is ever there to cry, who is always protective and who's love is undying....


Or at least, a younger sister... who would be the fighter cock of the house... who would cry for anything and everythin in this world... with whom i would boss around... scold her for not completing the homework before i return from college... teach her all that i know and make sure she is the best in her class... dress her up like a princess and proudly hold her hand as we walk to any party... a sister who's every problem would be solved by me... who's every wish would be granted... who would be loved more than anyone else in this world...


I only wish i had someone like that... i only wish... But not to regret... i am still proud to be the "Only One, Kanli Kann" for my parents... i hope not to let them down in anything i do... i only wish i could make them as proud as ever... and happy that they had only one... who's trouble and mischief was enough to last another lifetime!!!!


20 comments:

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

Seriously........ Semma super post :). The "straight-from-heart" narration of urs is sooper coool....

just wondering how ur other side wud be (peter english at singapore)

>>When i was in my primary class, i used to tell my friends that i was born in "New Fort", a city in England... some of them even believed me!!!

:rotfl: really cant stop laughing

>>An elder brother with whom i could share everything that i had in my heart... who would drop me in class in his "super bike"... i would sit proudly behind him thinking "My brother is the fastest and best bike rider in this world"... with whom i would roll on the bed, pinch hard on his tummy, fight until i lost all the energy in me... then shamelessly wait until he comes up to me and sweetly kisses me for which i would bite him hard... a brother who would hug me when i leave for my in-laws place one day... someone, who always would give me a hand to climb up.. who's shoulder is ever there to cry, who is always protective and who's love is undying....

I wish the same kind of feelings, just imagine from a guy's angle..a girl who cud say such things about me....... nijammave moved me...me into feelings now... :((

Keshi said...

hey thanks for dropping by Prithz! And WB from ur lovely trip :)


**I only wish i had someone like that... i only wish

sometimes it's a blessing in disguise...so duncha worry :)


tc
Keshi.

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog buddy...Solid effort I tell you...Your New Fort bahana here too uh?? The comparison and narration are absolutely perfect...Getting prolific day by day...

BTW, How was your trip...Cool uh?? you shud have enjoyed that...Sorry dudete, we couldnt join the fun...Why not send me some pictures of your PDKT house and the hospital you were born in...you visited it rite?lol...

Keep blogging pal...

prithz said...

@ r.subramanian:

Thnx a lot (*blush*)!!!

Ennaku ore mugame... Am the same me... no peter english n all...

a girl who cud say such things about me....... nijammave moved me

I guess there is more in a girl's mind that u need to explore R.S.!!! I will try to give an insight of such things that flash my mind... btw... Do u have a sister??? why the cravings for a girl to tell u all this??? :)

@ keshi:

Thnx for dropping into my blog too!!! I was just pouring out a piece of my mind... I have no regrets of being a single child... i still have so many cousins who are as good as being my own bro and sis... and most importantly... no one i need to share my chocolates with... (of course occasionally, my mom fights with me for a share)

@ vicky:

Thnx da... I did visit my grandparents old house and the vinayak temple by the road side... i didnt visit the hospital though... Shall send u the pics soon... Hope u r enjoying ur holidays too... take care...

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

mm didnt have a younger sis..athane feelings lam :)

i think u misunderstood my comments.. what i meant i was, i wanted to have a sis who could tell all these things about me ....

Harish said...

Wow..so much direct dil se your post is..
I do hope you must be having lot of friends with whom you can of course forget that you are the only child of your parents...
And if you still need more friends...Main hoon na :-)

Keshi said...

hehe glad u have no regrets...my mum and I fight over chocs too lol!


Keshi.

Venkatesh said...

i am enjoying reading your posts.. reminds me of childhood days with my elder sister.. on a sidenote, I totally understand why you didn't ask for an younger brother.. ;-)

prithz said...

@ r.subramanian:

Oh.. sorry pa.. nee apadi variya... seri rite... dunt worry buddy... We have a wonderful team in our blogsville!!!

@ harish:

Bahut dhanyavad aapko!!!

Yup.. i do have a lot of friends who are single... and more so who have siblings... their stories of fights @ home sometimes makes me feel its better to be one!!!

@ keshi:

I guess dats the case in every home keshi!!!

@ venkatesh:

Thnx a lot venkatesh!!!

I really dunno why i didnt think of a younger brother or an elder sister... But something tells me an elder brother would be more protective than an elder sis... (*still guessing*)

brute said...

hey buddy...it was too good post...:)

Venkatesh said...

"I really dunno why i didnt think of a younger brother or an elder sister... But something tells me an elder brother would be more protective than an elder sis... (*still guessing*)"

Well.. Here is the deal:
1) You wanted to be protected by the elder
2) You wanted to be protective of the youngest.

But, younger brothers hates if someone higher is protective.. they don't like to be protected..

But, I am glad that I had an elder sister though.. It is fun being the youngest..

prithz said...

@ brute:

Thnx a lot!!!

@ venkatesh:

Bull's eye... exactly wat i wanted to tell.. but couldnt express them myself... anyways.. good that u enjoy being the youngest..

Venkatesh said...

thanks.. i guess wat you wanted to say is implicit in your post.. me just an interpreter :-) keep posting your interesting memories..

Unknown said...

Thanks for dropping by!

BTW wonderful post! Oru mini-novel padicha 'peelingu' enakku!
Your narration is awesome. I have two brothers, both of them being elder to me. So, I too have a craving for a younger sister. Don't know why not younger brother!

Are u staying in Singapore right now?

Take care!

Karthik!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

new post is due :)

prithz said...

@ venkatesh;

True!! Thanks a lot!!!

@ karthik b.s.:

Thanks for dropping by too karthik!

Young sisters are make cute siblings... so do young brothers too... elder brothers make a better choice... lucky u!!!

I am in chennai on vacation... but actually i am studying in S'pore...

@ r.subramanian:

Adhane pathen... unnum sollalayenu...vandhunde irruku R.S.!!!! lol...

Has to be me said...

Oh my! pritz......this is just soooo touchy! And more so cos I felt as if I was reading my own words!!!! *Hugzzz*

Me too am the only child & my parents r the world to me & they have done so much fr me that I try to make them happy in every possible way.

To tell u the truth, I have always been happy to be the only kid cos I have all the love & attn of my parents just to myself. Having the older bro was just for an additional caring n protective feeling of someone who is ur own. But after marriage living away from parents (in another country) is when I feel that I probably shd've another sibling. Like u said I too have a no. of sweet cousins but still its not the same cos they have their own siblings.

Infact that was the sole reason I thot I shd've 2 kids. Initially I really wanted to stop with one cos parenting is no joke but then I didnt want the same feeling that I had, for my son to go thru & ofcourse I wanted a daughter too.

Am glad that we share common tastes. & I'm linking u to my blog. :)

prithz said...

Huggggggggzzz !!! Thnx a lot ... (*i jus wanted to tell u name*) "it has to be me"....

Yes indeed, at times like u have mentioned, when u r far away from home, its people like these we look out for. We do need someone in our own family to share our matters wid, dont we...

Its wonderful on ur part to have given ur younger daughter a caring elder brother... they will love you for ever... :)

p.s. i read ur previous posts. HOpe everything is goin on fine. I am praying god to give you the strength. take care...

Has to be me said...

Thankz Prithz fr ur sweet words.

There r many of my other family members who r helping my parents right now & r with them thru this crisis. But unfortunately they r also not in India / chennai with them right now. But thankfully by His grace, things r better. Just waiting for him to become totally fine.

Yes hoping my kids will realise the importance of the same.

Happy to have read ur words. Thanks. :)

prithz said...

@ murali:

Really nice to hear you enjoyed it :)... take care... and keep dropping by my blog...