Friday, June 02, 2006

Epitome of Life - Birth


I couldn't stay away any longer from sharing this piece of my mind with you guys... Lots has been happening this vacation... for a change, i am now down to something serious which i have been waiting to pen down... This post is going to be pretty much bio-related... but i hope i can get across the message that has rested deep within my heart... For the past one week, i have been on-going a training programme in a leading genentics lab in Chennai... With just 5 days of observation of their lab techniques and diagnostics, i have been able to interact with some wonderful people and learn certain amazing, as well as a few devastating truths of life... I also realised how true it is when people say - "Seeing is Believing"

There are some days when we realise how ignorant we have been to certain intricate matters in the world... And today was one such day which has opened up a whole new world to me... In the morning, as soon as i went to the lab, i sat in front of one the free microscopes and began counting the number of chromosomes and checking their banding pattern... After a few minutes, one of the staff there called out to me to observe DNA isolation from blood... While i was on my way to the Molecular Genetics lab, something i saw shocked me... i stood there stunned and it took me some time to believe what i had just seen... And this is what i saw....

A number of buckets were lined with formalin filled in them and some brownish figures were floating in them... a lady in full medical costume, opened up a bucket and took out a palm size fetus... Yes!!! U heard me right, a 7 month old dead fetus... She smiled at me and walked back into her lab... i stood there not knowing how to react... Never in my life have i seen a new born baby... Even when my cousins were born, my parents would not allow me to see the 1 week old baby saying i will contaminate its environment... And today i was face-to-face with a baby which had been removed from the mother's womb even before it was developed enough to be born... Moments later, overcoming my shock and little realising how stupid a question it would be, i blurted out to the staff - " Was that a real fetus? "... Amazed by such a senseless question, he smiled sarcastically and said - " Of course!!! Do you want to see it??? Bayanthura matteengale?!!!? " Bravely i said no and walked in behind him....

Lying on a broad table, with lights neatly focussed on its entire little body, with dehydrated brownish-grey skin, tiny head, eyes closed, bones so thin as though they were made of joint matchsticks, 10 fingers and 10 toes clutched tightly and a white umbilical cord hanging out loosely... was the baby, cuddled in the air... probably it thought it was happily sleeping in its mother's womb, but no, the placenta was lying there beside it... The baby looked perfectly normal to my eyes and i could see nothing but the beauty of a premature new born... It looked orphaned, deserted, helpless and killed even before it had a chance to see the world outside the blood-stained tissues of its mother... Spontaneously, i questioned the lady in the lab as to what was the abnormality in the kid that it has been aborted... She said - " Its head is too small. The baby might suffer physical and mental retardation if it were born. "

Utterly puzzled, i stared at the fetus for sometime and later walked out with a racing mind and a broken heart... How miserable could it have been???... The baby's mother would have taken so much care for the past 7 precious months and the father would have been so expectant of a new-comer, only to find that the baby has to be aborted... Everyday, hospitals see so many couples with repeated abortions, hundreds who are infertile and thousands who are lined up to get counselled for having an abnormal child... The very thought seems really pathetic and discomforting...

Life is so tough to be given... and tougher is to get a life with perfectly functioning parts and one that is free of all abnormalities... A small deletion, translocation or infertilty in the developing fetus can mean so much to the life of the baby...
Though the sight of the unborn was so painful, in a way it had been saved of having to lead a life with under developed organs... Truely, i realised how blessed each one of us is to be able to smell, taste, see, feel, understand, interpret, cry, laugh, emote and enjoy the pleasures that life has to offer... The birth of life is such a wonderfully crafted and synchronised series of developments that can be matched by nothing in this universe... I am left with no words to describe my feelings... I only wish that each one of us value the life that has been so selflessly offered to us and we make the most out of it... Enjoy life, keep smiling and take care... Hugzzzzzzzzzzz....

p.s. : This blog is dedicated to my mom and dad... both their b'days fall this month... Happy B'day!!! :)



17 comments:

Venkatesh said...

excellent post. I hate when people say I didn't get this, I didn't get that etc., we are lucky enough to be who we are in this wonderful world. your post narrates this nicely.

brute said...

life is too precious....
hey good post da.... keep it up

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

really touching one preethz

u made us feel how you have felt on seeing that baby...yep you are true.... namakku than manasu kashtama irukum and pathetic for the carrying amma.. but for the good being of the baby........ we have to accept this...

and yes truly we are blessed to born as normal.......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR DAD AND MOM... FOR THEM BOTH VAAZHGA VALAMUDAN :)

Anonymous said...

Romba peelings ah yezuthirukka nu mattum theriyuthu...Oorukku poittu vanthu padikkaren...

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

hmmm
thought provoking
out of masti mode ?

Unknown said...

Heart-rendering to say the least!

Whenever I see blind people begging in the trains, I feel sorry for them. At the same time, I feel how much lucky have I been (which does not strike me any other time). It's sad to see so many people (with well formed bodies) attempting suicide for petty reasons. Only if they know how many people with physical handicaps fightback in their lives, will they know the value of thier lives.

To be honest, a soul-stirring post!

Do you carry a camera to the lab too? :D

When are you returning to Singapore?

BYE!

Ms Congeniality said...

Beautiful post :-)
//each one of us value the life that has been so selflessly offered to us and we make the most out of it//
Perfect end to a perfect post :-)

prithz said...

@ venkatesh:

Thnx Venkatesh!!! Its really irritating when people keep wanting more and more in life, little enjoying what they already have...

@ brute:

Thnx Avinash!!! Life is indeed the most precious of anything God has offered to us :)

@ r.subramanian:

Thnx for the wishes R.S. :)

Indeed somethings in life, though may be painful, have to be accepted and taken in its stride... Life has to move on nonetheless...

@ vicky:

Amam... ore feelings dhan... pen down your wonderful trip too.. i shall be waiting...

@ ajay:

Hmm... It did kindle my mind and my heart to a great extent... I am still continuing on my masti mood too :)

@ karthik b.s.:

Very rightly said Karthik.... It is so pathetic to see how people hardly value their life and go to the extent of suicide for small things in life...

I dont carry a camera to the lab... i jus googled it in webshots...

I am getting back to S'pore mostly by the end of July... :)

@ ms. congeniality:

Thnx!!! :)

Story Teller said...

eh.. first time i entered your blog, yet to read other post, Really touching post... True, Live is precious and we need to cherish it's each moments!

Harish said...

You will get some similar feelings when you go to an orphanage or an old age home....just that the circumstances are different..but the end result is the same...U GET MOVED
As you said...lets be happy that we are alive and contributing soemthing

Keshi said...

Happy Bday to both ur Ma n Pa! I wish for them many more years of health and happiness!



I felt sorry for the baby but the pic really was not that easy to look at!


Ur right...life is tough to be received in full health and blessings...we dun realise it cos we have too many things and we still complain.

Keshi.

prithz said...

@ delhi-tamilian:

Welcome!!! Thnx for your comments...

Life is too precious and too short to be wasted worrying... Very Very true...

@ harish:

Yup!!! You got it right... Each one is brought to the realisation of something by some incident that happens... And this one opened my eyes...

@ keshi:

Thnx Keshi!!!

Yes, the photo is bery unpleasant to look at... but the fetus i saw was more gross than this one...

To be born in good health is the best God can offer...

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

naanga yaarum ketkalena adutha post poda maatiya prithz?

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

Hey prithz...a very touching post..in fact after my exams I was planning on writing a post that is based on how women tend to abort children because of the sexes...I completely agree with what u have said...people dont realize the value i think....
btw,I hope you don't mind me asking this,can I know what your UG program is??I am curious to know if you are doing biotech or genetic engineering...you may reply to my email address chenfav28@hotmail.com ....sorry,if I am probing too much...
Thanks for your wishes...I badly need it this time for my exams...

[MY BIRTHDAY WISHES TO BOTH YOUR PARENTS]

prithz said...

@ r.subramanian:

Coming Boss :)

@ random thoughts from chennai to canada:

Thnx for ur wishes and comments!!!

Very true about what u have said. As soon as i came back home, i was narrating what i saw to my mom and she asked me if it was a boy or a girl. Only then did i realise that i had not even noticed that... As long as ur baby is having perfectly functioning parts, there is no need to bother if its a girl or a boy...

I shall mail to u about the details of my course...

Ramya said...

nalla ezhuthi irukeenga neenga,we must be content with what we have or what we deserve.over expectations is too much for anyone.

prithz said...

Thnx Ramya. Very rightly said.