Friday, July 14, 2006

Small, Short and Sweet...



Rain spattering like bullets from the blue,

The sun giggling between the leaves,

A half-shy, half-proud rainbow,

An easy chair laid on the balcony,

Fries, ketchup and warm tea,

The smell of the earth overpowering them all,

A brown tattered book in hand,

Curled in the chair,

Eyes scrolling, unputdownable!!

Kindergarden tales, Fantasy fables,

Short stories, Explicit morals.



It was 7 years ago, a quiet Sunday afternoon and i was with my all time favourite book by Enid Blyton....




That was my first date with a book. When it was time to begin The Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys series, i used to be one sole girl, stretching to pick Enid Blyton's book from the rack in the library. I admire her for the wonderful childhood days that i had with her books. I preferred to read her short stories about children rather than the novels like Secrect Seven and Famous Five. Slowly, i began to lay my hands upon novels and now its the age of Dan Brown, Sidney Sheldon and Robert Ludnum. I used to be one kid, speaking in broken English and fumbling with words. Now,
if there is someone apart from my English teacher and my dad to whom i owe my knowledge of English, its Enid Blyton. It was my mom who first bought me a book of Enid Blyton and i still treasure it in my book shelf. That was the book that introduced me to the new world of story telling and i began to fancy the wonderful game played with the English language.

That's my experience with books and the beautiful language. What's it with you guys????


19 comments:

Ganesh Ranganathan said...

I also used to love Enid Blyton when I was a kid....nowadays, I like Mario Puzo, Jeffery Archer, Ludlum.....MY all time fave is Kane and abel, it was the first novel I read....

Krithika said...

thank u :) ah! i totally love her writings and even now i cherish reading-twins at st clares

KK said...

I used to read Hardy boys, Famous five and Alfred Hitchcock novels durig my school days. But later I was and not that much of a book person. I have read a few Jeffery Archer. My favourite is Not a penny more, Not a penny less.

Thanks for reminding about my school library :)

Unknown said...

I must confess that I have not read the works of the author u mentioned. :(

I am a late bloomer as far as books are concerned. Humour is my cup of tea. So, P.G. Wodehouse is my favourite.

Andha bookshelf ungalodadha??????
Naraya books padikira pazhalakkam pola? Lucky!

AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

WOW amazing re
i went back to my childhood days too. pretty nostalgic

oh how i miss childhood :sigh: :)

Syam said...

something about books and writters...enaku romba thooram...its a lovely home in the first picture.. :-)

starry said...

i loved Enid Blyton also.I love to curl up with a book when its raining.

Keshi said...

Nancy Drew, Famous Five, Secret Seven, Hardy Boys? Did u steal my books? lol I read the same books when I was younger!! Enid Blyton certainly helped in polishing my English.

Later on I started reading Mills&Boon :), Sydney Sheldon and Erich Segal. Now I dun read much..I just blog hehehe.

Keshi.

brute said...

hmm...simply good post preeti..

prithz said...

@ ganesh ranganathan:

Most kids red Enid Blyton's stuff i guess.. Kane and Abel - havnt read that one...

@ krithika:

WELCOME!!! :)

I love that series too...

@ kk:

That's wonderful.. try to get ur hands on some book when u find time... i'm sure it will relax u and bring back memories of school days... :)

@ karthik b.s.:

Hmmm... I tried one of P.G. Wodehouse's books... i did like the humour to some extent, but i felt that sometimes, his English was purposely going astray... so didnt get my hands on any more of his books..

BTW, Andha bookshelf ennodadhu illa... enkitta unnum perusa irrukum... kuppaiya irrukum..lol...

@ ajay:

Hey, welcome bk!!!

Pleasure that this post made u relive ur childhood days... :)

@ syam:

Hmmm.. never mind..

Know wat, that house is Enid Blyton's cottage... super cool rite???

@ starry nights:

That's wonderful!!! Rainy weather is the perfect time to be with books :)

@ keshi:

Hahaha...i better be careful with my bookself!!!..lol...

Havnt tried any ohter u have mentioned apart from Sidney Sheldon... wil try thoese sometime...

prithz said...

@ brute:

Thnku Thnku :)

Intrepid traveller's dairy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Intrepid traveller's dairy said...

looks like you too revisited your childhood...Amber was the name of my first story book.Unfortunatelly,I don't remember the author but I still remember the story...it was very touching...I liked Duncan books...now I read Grishams novels when i find time...

Until I was 12 or so,I spent most of my time playing outside....so reading books was my last priority...amazing how things have changed...nice post Preethi

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

prithz....i still like to read enid blyton books.......and these books really make the mind refreshing...........

oh i luv enid blyton's stories :D

prithz said...

@ random thoughts from chennai to canada:

Great di!!! I have tried Grisham's books.. will try one day... :)

@ r.subramanian:

Dats wonderful :)

Ekta said...

ooh I love enid blyton and nancy drew and hardy boys!
In fact I still have a small collection of Enid blyton bedtime stories!

prithz said...

@ ekta:

That's amazing!! Her books make wonderful bedtime stories...

Welcoem to my blog!!! :)

s0ulasylum said...

enid blyton is my all time fav too! rem those days when i used to read them non-stop... the magic of the faraway tree and books of that fantastical genre being my absolute favs! i still have my whole collection back home!same with nancy drews.. now of course tastes change but anyday given a choice i'd be more than happy to curl in with an enid blyton! :)

prithz said...

@ s0ulasylum:

Oh dats wonderful!!! :)